A piece of glass on display at Swansea University has been identified as a lost fragment of a 3,000-year-old Egyptian vase at Cairo Museum.
The fragment is believed to have come from a 15in high vase from the tomb of queen Tiye, the wife of the Egyptian pharaoh Amenhotep III, who reigned from 1386 to 1349BC.
The piece of glass, which is on loan to the university’s Egypt Centre from Swansea Museum, is part of an amphora, a kind of vessel usually used for transporting wine.
The rest of the vessel is currently on display in Cairo.
(Swansea is in Wales, y’all; hence the headline’s all caps.)
Into His Marvellous Light (by jamescharlick)
Chapel Rose was built between 1290 and 1308 as a convent and hospital, occupied by the Augustinian Sisters. Around 1600 the entire complex was destroyed by fire, after which it was rebuilt. The oldest parts that have been preserved date from that period. In the 19th century the south and west wings were partially demolished and rebuilt.